The Junior Community Health Extension Worker is a member of the District Health team working, directly with the Village Health workers/Traditional Birth Attendants. He/she is employed by the formal Health system and she is expected to Spend 80% of his/her working tine in the community and 20% in the clinic. He/she is supervised directly by the community Health Extension workers.
Junior Community Health Extension Worker (JCHEW)
Duration of the course:
2 Calendar years
Personal Qualities: He /She must:
- Be knowledgeable and skilful.
- have a good interpersonal relationship
- be hard working and dedicated to duties
- be honest, approachable and reliable
- have initiative and be tolerant
- be punctual to duty
- be fluent in the local language and English language
- be responsible and mature
- be willing to work in the community
Summary of function
Carry – out 80% of his / her Primary Health Care functions in the Community and 20% at the Clinic, serve as the link between the community and the health facility for continuation of care.
- Community Health Extension
- Assistant PHC Co-ordinator / District Supervisor
- Responsible for Voluntary Village Health Workers / Traditional Birth Attendants
- Community member
Community Based Function
- Explain to the community the Primary Health Care approach of the Health System and acts as a member of the Health team to link the Community with the health facility.
- Carry out community mobilisation for health action
- Participate with other Health workers and the community to carry out community diagnosis and continuous health need assessment of the community.
- Work with the supervising officer and community members to plan solution for identified health needs.
- Work with other members of the health team and community members to carry out the plan.
- Develop visit with Voluntary Health Workers / Traditional Birth attendants, prenatal and postnatal mothers to initiate and continue care according to a standing orders.
- Visit homes to Identify at risk members of the community and refer according to standing orders
- Visit homes to monitor pregnant women
- Identify with Voluntary Health Workers / Traditional Birth Attendants Clinic difficulties in the community and manage them according to Standing Orders.
- Carry out Health Education in the community on environmental sanitation and prevalent health problems such as malnutrition, diarrhoea, sexually transmitted diseases (STD).
- Screen for health problems in the community and the appropriate action according to the standing orders.
- Treat specified conditions in the Homes according to standing orders.
- Supervise Voluntary Village Health Workers Traditional Birth Attendants.
- Identify learning needs of Voluntary Health Workers Traditional Birth Attendants.
- Participate in the training of the Voluntary Village Health Workers/ TBA in the Community.
- Collate monitoring and evaluation forms of PHC activities in the community.
Clinic Based Functions
- Registered New Clients
- Weigh clients and record weight accurately.
- Carry out health talks on different health related topics as schedule.
- Estimate haemoglobin according to established procedure.
- Measure blood pressure according to established procedure.
- Test urine for sugar and albumen.
- Prepare for and administer immunizations and heat test according to standard schedule and prescription on client card.
- Dress uncomplicated wounds according to prescription on client’s card.
- Pack and disperse drugs according to established procedure.
- Provide family planning counselling and family planning services according to standing order
- Sterile equipments according to established procedure.
- Collect and label specimens for the laboratory.
- Carry out simple procedure e.g. temperature pulse and respiratory rate, bed making, oral cleansing, food demonstration etc.
- Participate in training, monitoring and evaluation forms of PHC activities in the clinics.
- Participate in the training of other Health Workers in the clinic.
- Update the clinic master card after community based Function
- Perform any other duties assigned to him by his supervising officer
Please review the admission requirement for this program here.