According to Abraham Lincoln, depression can be seen as a deep pit.
Mental health has to do with what goes on in a person’s mind and how it his/her environment. It comprises of an individual’s emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
It affects how a person thinks, feels, and acts. It also helps to determine how one handles pressure, communicates with others, and make various choices.
Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
There are lots of factors that can contribute to one’s mental health problems, which includes: genetic factors, life experiences and having a family history of mental health problems.
Mental illnesses in individuals are very common, ranging from postpartum depression, which is associated with women, bipolar or maniac depression, borderline personality disorder, situational depression, addiction and much more.
Mental health problems are common but hardly heard of because of the stigma attached to it and due to the fact that a lot of people do not see it as a problem.
People go through illnesses but do not speak until it reaches its climax. One of the first thing a person should do when dealing with depression especially when it begins to affect his or her productivity, is to fully accept the fact that something is wrong somewhere and seek professional help.
Below are 12 subtle signs of mental illness:
12 signs of mental health:
1. Finding normal interesting activities very uninteresting
2. Withdrawal from friends and family
3. Eating or sleeping too much or too little
4. Having consistently low or no energy
5. Emotionless feeling, like nothing matters
6. Feeling helpless or hopeless
7. Obsessive smoking, drinking, and use of drugs
8. Consistent feeling of confusion, forgetfulness, edginess and anger
9. Constant fight with family and friends
10. Experiencing severe mood swings
11. Having persistent thoughts and memories you can’t get out of your head
12. Thinking of harming yourself or others
Mental illness is a friend of nobody, and can occur at any point in a person’s life. There are different songs, books and movies that can stimulate depression in a person, most especially when going through a breakup, death of a loved one, rejection and much more. At that particular period of time, these songs/movies/books will affirm your emotions. But the question remains: “the feelings you are experiencing, do they empower you or hinder you from moving forward?”
5 ways of dealing with mental health issues:
Moving from a low or depressive state to a healthy mental state is a process, which cannot be immediately achieved, but takes time. In dealing with different mental illnesses, it is important to note these few points for quicker results:
1. Seek professional help.
2. To achieve peak performances, there is need to have a positive mindset, which involves an individual not dwelling in his or her sadness or anger, but seeking help when things get out of hand. It is one thing to acknowledge that you are sad and heal from it but another thing to stay in that emotion and become depressed.
3. Surround yourself with family, friends and positive individuals that bring out the best in you. Do not lose touch of physical meetings and hangouts.
4. Be careful with what you take into your mind; what goes on in a person’s environment can affect his or her mental state. Always invest your time in doing positive things. Be physically active. As the saying goes “an idle mind is the devil’s workshop”.
5. Be conscious of your peak performances and be able to get positive results on a consistent basis.
Having a positive mental health allows people to: Realize their full potential, Cope with the stresses of life, Work productively and make meaningful contributions to their surroundings.
Always note that no matter how depressing your mental state is at the moment, you are a star and you are created for greatness.
Feeding your mind and soul with affirmative thoughts is key when it comes to fighting depression and other mental illnesses.
To get a copy of The Catalyst’s Affirmation Pack, visit www.audio.olcang.com.
If you are experiencing any of the signs outlined in this article, or you desire to jumpstart your journey to being the best you can be, sign up for our Life Coaching and NLP Combo Program running from 14th – 21st of May 2018.
For more information, call us on 08077077000 or send an email to email@example.com.
You must log in to post a comment.